Cranberry and White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 1 dozen sandwiches, or 2 dozen cookies
¼ cup (60 mL) dry red lentils
½ cup (125 mL) butter, at room temperature
½ cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
½ cup (125 mL) sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
1 ½ cans (375 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
¼ teaspoon (1 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
1 cup (250 mL) white chocolate chunks or chips
4 cups (1 L) vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the lentils for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Drain well and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt; add to the butter mixture along with the cooked lentils and stir until almost combined; add the cranberries and white chocolate and stir just until blended.
3. Drop large spoonfuls of dough a couple inches apart on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet; bake for 12-15 minutes, until pale golden around the edges and just set. Transfer to a wire rack to cook completely, and if you have time, freeze them. (This will make them more firm, and easier to spread with ice cream.)
4. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and set on the countertop until slightly softened. Place a scoop of ice cream on the underside of a frozen cookie, top with a second cookie and press down so that the ice cream spreads to the edges. Place on a baking sheet and return to the freezer until frozen. Wrap in plastic wrap and return to the freezer until you are ready to serve them.