Creamy Pumpkin Pie
- prep time 1 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 6
1 ½ cup flour
2 Tbsp orange, rind, finely, grated
½ tsp salt
¼ cup cold butter, cubed
¼ cup cold shortening, cubed
1 tsp vinegar
1 can pumpkin, puree
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4 oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp saltTopping
½ cup whipping cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, orange rind and salt. Using pastry blender or with 2 knives cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
3. In measuring cup, whisk egg yolk with vinegar and pour in enough ice water to make 1/3 cup (75 mL)
4. Drizzle egg mixture over flour mixture; toss with fork until dough starts to hold together, adding a little more ice water if necessary. Form into ball, press into disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. On floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/8- inch (3 mm) thickness. Roll up on rolling pin, draping loosely. Without stretching, fit into plate. Trim edge to leave 1-inch (2.5 cm) overhang, reserving scraps. Fold edge under and flute. With fork, prick shell all over and refrigerate, 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, gather pastry scraps together and roll out. Using small pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 11 shapes. Transfer to baking sheet and bake in bottom third of 375º F (190º C) oven for about 12 minutes or until golden. Transfer to rack and let cool.
7. Line pastry shell with foil; fill evenly with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in bottom third of oven for 15 minutes, remove weights and foil. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes longer or until pastry just starts to turn golden. Reduce heat to 350º F (180º C).Filling
1. In food processor, purée pumpkin, sugar, cream cheese, cream, eggs, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
2. Pour into prepared pie shell; bake in bottom third of oven for 1 hour or until set around edge and slightly jiggly in center.
3. Let cool on rack.Topping
1. Pie or spoon cream into 8 rosettes around edge; top each with pastry pumpkin. Stand