1 ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in water
2 cup baby arugula
1 cup baby spinach
¼ cup fresh mint, torn into small pieces
2 scallions, sliced thin on a bias
¼ cup Italian parsley
1 ½ tsp chili flakes
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt, to taste
6 cup canola oil
1. Take the soaked chickpeas and cook them in fresh water until very tender. Season with salt at the end of the cooking process. The cooking time (45 to 60 minutes) will vary according to the age of the chickpeas. Once cooked, they can be kept in the fridge for up to two days.
2. In a pot that can hold at least 12 cups (the more the better), bring the canola oil to a temperature of 375°F.
3. Drain the chickpeas, dry them on paper towels and then slowly pour them into the hot oil.
4. While they are cooking, add to a large bowl the arugula, spinach, scallion, mint and parsley.
5. After about four minutes of frying, remove the chickpeas and drain well. While they are still very hot, add them to the bowl of greens. Season everything with salt, chilies, lemon zest, lemon juice and, finally, the extra virgin olive oil. Toss very well and check for seasoning. Serve immediately.