Curried Lentil Soup with Havarti
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
1 ½ cups (375 mL) canned lentils, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks stalks celery, minced
2 cups (500 mL) peeled and finely diced carrots
1 cup (250 mL) peeled and finely diced potatoes
2 cups (500mL) vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup (250 mL) milk
2 teaspoons (10 mL) curry paste or powder
⅓ pound (160 g) plain or jalapeño-flavoured Canadian Havarti, cubed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
(30 mL) coarsely chopped fresh coriander
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, carrots and potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils, stock, milk and curry. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
2. Purée soup in a blender or food processor. Adjust seasonings.
3. To serve, place cheese in each bowl of soup and garnish with coriander.
4. Suggestion: This is a great way to serve up legumes to children who are picky eaters. Soup can also be served unblended.
5. Note: As cheese is added just before serving, soup can be made ahead and reheated. Soup can also be frozen.