Curried Lentil, Wild Rice and Orzo Salad
- prep time 0 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 6
½ cup wild rice
⅔ cup green or brown lentils
½ cup orzo pasta
½ cup currants
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
cup slivered almonds, toastedDressing
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch cloves
1 pinch cayenne pepper
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook wild rice, covered, for 10 minute.
2. Add lentils; boil for 20 minutes.
3. Add orzo; boil for about 5 minutes, or just until tender.
4. Drain well and transfer to large bowl.
5. Add currants and onions; set aside.Dressing
1. In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, cumin, mustard, sugar, salt, coriander, turmeric, paprika, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne; whisk in oil.
2. Pour over rice mixture and toss gently.
3. Let salad cool completely; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
4. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds.