3 Large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into large cubes
2 Cooking onions, chopped
2 Stalks of celery, chopped
3 Carrots (unpeeled), chopped
4 Cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
2 Tbsp organic coconut oil
3 Tbsp Curry powder (preferably free trade organic)
Unrefined sea salt to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Enough filtered water to cover
1. Heat a 10L pot on the stove top on medium-high heat. Once hot add coconut oil and melt it so that it covers the bottom of the pot.
2. Add onions, carrots (unpeeled) and celery, stirring frequently. When vegetables have begun to brown (about 5 minutes), add curry powder (preferably trade organic), allowing it to toast on the bottom of the pan. Stir well.
3. After a minute or so, add a little water to the pot to keep the curry powder from burning. Add garlic, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper.
4. Pour in enough water so that the vegetables are just covered. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
5. Once boiled, turn the pot down to a simmer (low heat). Allow to simmer for forty minutes or so, stirring and occasionally checking the doneness of the sweet potatoes.
6. When potatoes are soft enough to be easily cut with a spoon remove pot from heat.
Using a hand-blender blend the soup until no chunks remain. The consistency can be adjusted by adding more water if necessary.
7. Add more salt (unrefined sea salt) if needed.