Curry Cauliflower Soup, Currants, Dried Apricots and Toasted Almonds
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6 servings
⅓ cup (80 mL) madras curry powder
1 tablespoon (15 mL) whole coriander, toasted
1 tablespoon (15 mL)whole cumin, toasted
1 tablespoon (15 mL) garam masala
1 tablespoon (15 mL) turmericSoup
¼ cup (60 mL) butter
1 medium cooking onion, peeled, halved and sliced 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
4 tablespoons (60 mL) Curry Spice Mix
1 head cauliflower cleaned, cored and cut into florets
¼ teaspoon (2 mL) salt
¼ teaspoon (2 mL) pepper
1 cup (250 mL) 35% cream
4 tablespoons (60 mL) honey
2 tablespoons (30 mL) lemon juiceCauliflower Chips
2 cups (500 mL) cauliflower florets, sliced 1/16-inch (15 mm) thick on a mandolinCauliflower Florets
1 cup (250 mL) cauliflower florets, 1/2-inch to 1/4-inch (1.5 cm to 0.5 cm) size pieces
3 tablespoons (45 mL) butter, melted
1 tablespoon (15 mL) Curry Spice Mix
¼ teaspoon (2 mL) salt
¼ teaspoon (2 mL) pepperCilantro Yogurt
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
½ cup (125 mL) Greek yoghurtGarnish
¼ cup (60 mL) currants soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
3 tablespoons (45 mL) dried apricots, finely diced
¼ cup (60 mL) sliced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon (15 mL) small mint leaves, picked
1 tablespoon (15 mL) small cilantro leaves, picked
1. Place all ingredients in a spice grinder, grind until smooth and combined. (There will be leftovers.)Soup
1. In a large saucepot on medium heat, add butter, melt.
2. Add onions, apple and garlic. Sweat for 6-8 min., add Curry Spice Mix and cauliflower, sweat for 8-10 min., stirring occasionally.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cover with water, approx. 5 cups (1.2L) and simmer for 30 min.
5. Add cream and gently simmer for an additional 15 min.
6. Remove from heat. Using an immersion/ stick blender, puree until smooth.
7. Season with lemon juice, honey and additional salt and pepper if desired.Cauliflower Chips
1. On a parchment lined baking sheet, place slices of cauliflower.
2. Place in 180ºF (80ºC) oven for 1 hour until dry and crisp.
3. Remove from oven, cool and store container with a tight fitting lid.Cauliflower Florets
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine.
3. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, bake for 6-8 min. until lightly browned and tender.Cilantro Yogurt
1. In a blender, add cilantro and yoghurt. Puree until smooth.
2. Place in a container and set aside.Garnish
1. Drain currants. In a bowl, combine Cauliflower Florets, apricots and toasted almonds.
2. Set aside herbs for final plating. Assembly: (for one portion) 1. Ladle Soup in to bowl. Spoon 1-2 tbsp.(15-30ml) of Cilantro Yoghurt in the center of the soup. 2. Place 2-3 tbsp. (30-45ml) of Garnish mix on top of Cilantro Yogurt. 3. Finish with fresh mint and cilantro leaves from Garnish, top with Cauliflower Chips.