David Rocco's Italian Nutella-Filled Bomboloni
- prep time25 min
- total time 35 min
- serves 13
Bombolone is an Italian filled doughnut that pairs well with a hot beverage.
½ cup granulated sugar, plus extra for coating
2 tsp salt
3 ½ oz (100 g) butter, at room temperature
1 cup milk, at room temperature
2 large egg yolks
1 whole egg
12 g fresh yeast
1 lemon, zest
2 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour
450 g Nutella
vegetable oil, for frying
1. Dissolve the yeast with a 1/3 of the milk in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk all the eggs with the rest of the milk. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest and mix together.
4. Add the egg and milk mixture slowly to the flour and mix with a dough mixer for 2-3 minutes or until the dough has roughly combined.
5. Add in the milk and yeast mixture and continue to mix the dough for a few minutes. Sprinkle in a little flour if the dough is sticking to the bowl or mix until it no longer sticks to its sides. The dough should be very soft and not sticky.
6. Transfer the dough onto a work surface and knead the dough into a ball, then put into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 3 hours.
7. Once the dough has doubled in size, stretch it out with a rolling pin about 2 cm. Using a round pasty cutter the size of a cup, cut the dough into disks and put on a baking tray with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for another 90 minutes.
8. Heat up the oil and when hot (170ºC/340ºF - use a thermometer) add the dough a few at a time to the hot oil. When the dough is golden on one side, gently turn over to fry the other side . When the donuts are golden, remove from the fryer and place on absorbent paper and then roll in sugar until the donut is completely covered.
9. When the donut is still warm, fill with your favourite jam, pastry cream or Nutella. Add the Nutella in a pastry bag with a plain donut tip. Poke the tip 3/4 in and squeeze the Nutella pulling the tip out and adding as much Nutella as possible to the donut or bombolone.
10. Serve warm.