Duck with Sour Apples and Port
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
3 ½ pounds (1.75 kg) duck breast
2 tablespoons (25 mL) butter
3 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Granny Smith apples, cored, cut into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes
1 ½ cups (375 mL) dried cherries
2 cups (500 mL) balsamic vinegar
2 cups (500 mL) port
½ cup (125 mL) maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190 Celsius).
2. Score duck breast on fatty side in diamond pattern. Heat skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Cook breast, fat side down, for about 5 minutes, or until browned and duck fat is released. Remove from heat. Drain all but 2 tablespoons (30mL) duck fat.
4. Transfer duck to a baking tray, bake in centre of oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thermometer inserted to centre reaches 160 degrees (70 Celsius). Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in skillet over medium heat, sauté shallots until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add apples and cherries. Add port, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup and cook, scraping bottom of pan, until liquid is reduced by half, and cherries and apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Slice duck breast thinly across the grain. Serve with apple cherry port sauce.