Egg, Dairy and Nut Free Chocolate Cake
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 10
750 millilitres (3 cup) water
75 millilitres (1/3 cup) flax seedsFor the Cake
430 millilitres (1 3/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
10 millilitres (2 teaspoons) baking powder
1 millilitre (1/4 teaspoon) salt
310 millilitres (1 1/4 cups) sugar
180 millilitres (3/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
125 millilitres (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
5 millilitres (1 teaspoon) cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
125 millilitres (1/2 cup) egg substitute
250 millilitres (1 cup) soy beverage
5 millilitres (1 teaspoon) vanilla extractFor the Ganache
335 grams (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
180 millilitres (3/4 cup) chocolate or plain soy beverage
60 millilitres (1/4 cup) corn syrupFor Assembly
1. In a saucepan, bring the water and flax seeds to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain immediately, collecting the goopy liquid and separating it from the seeds. Let cool slightly, then refrigerate until lukewarm.For the Cake
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the bottom of a 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa powder, oil and vinegar with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes. Add the egg substitute and beat until smooth. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the soy beverage and vanilla.
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
5. Let cool slightly. Unmould and let cool on a cake rack.For the Ganache
1. Put the chocolate in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, bring the soy beverage and corn syrup to a boil. Pour over the chocolate in the bowl. Let sit for 1 minute while the chocolate melts.
3. Whisk the chocolate mixture until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until the ganache is cold but still spreadable, about 1 hour. If necessary, soften by warming briefly in a microwave oven.For Assembly
1. Cut the cake horizontally in two. Ice the middle and outside with the ganache.
2. Note: Pour the remaining egg substitute into ice-cube trays and freeze: 1 cube is equivalent to 1 egg.