Endive and Grape Salad with Pear Vinaigrette
- prep time5 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 4
Fresh pear juice is the star in this vinaigrette, challenging the slight tang of endives and mustard.
2 cup of fresh pear juice (500 ml or approximately 4 pears)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp cider vinegar (30 ml)
½ tsp of maple syrup (2 ml)
½ tsp of Dijon mustard (2 ml)
½ cup of canola oil (125 ml)
A little water to thin, if necessary
Salt and pepper to tasteSalad
4 endives, trimmed
2 cup of red grapes, sliced in halves (500 ml)
2 pears, julienned
¼ cup of pine nuts, toasted (60 ml)
½ cup of mimolette cheese, brunoised (100 g approximately)
2 tsp of olive oil (10 ml)
1. Heat pear juice on stovetop over medium heat to reduce to ¼ of its original amount, for 40 minutes, until caramelized. Set aside and let cool.
2. In a pan add olive oil and toast pine nuts on medium to high heat. Keep an eye on them because they tend to burn fast.
3. In a bowl, mix the reduced pear juice, cider vinegar, maple syrup and Dijon mustard. Slowly add vegetable oil whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little more pear juice, or water if the vinaigrette is too thick. Set aside.Salad
1. Place endives and grapes in a bowl, add vinaigrette and mix well. Transfer salad mixture in serving bowls and garnish with pears, pine nuts and cheese.
2. Note : Old Cheddar or Gouda can be substituted for Mimolette.