"Faux" Fried Chicken and Coleslaw
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
1 cup corn flake crumbs
1 oz (30 g) good–quality Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp marjoram
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp seasoned salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
⅒ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup whole wheat flour
4 large chicken thighs (bone-in; remove skin)
4 large chicken drumsticks (remove skin)
2 Tbsp butter, melted
Safflower oil or cooking spray to coat baking panLight and Creamy Coleslaw Dres
½ cup light (half the fat) mayonnaise
3/10 cup light (5%) sour cream
2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 ½ Tbsp honey
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
1 tsp celery seed
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepperColeslaw
1-lb bag coleslaw mix (green and red cabbage plus carrots; chop it up a bit so no big pieces)
½ cup chopped green onions
½ cup finely minced red bell pepper
½ cup finely minced celery
1. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, mix corn flake crumbs with Parmesan, paprika, marjoram, thyme, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
2. Pour buttermilk into a second shallow bowl or pie plate and flour into a third shallow bowl or pie plate.
3. Generously spray a rimmed baking sheet with safflower oil or cooking spray (see tip below). Rinse chicken and pat dry using paper towels. Working one at a time, dip chicken pieces in buttermilk and moisten on all sides. Shake off excess buttermilk. Place chicken in bowl with flour mixture and turn to coat. Dip in buttermilk again, then coat with seasoned corn flake mixture. This process can get a little messy, but hang in there! Double dipping is what makes the chicken extra yummy. Place chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet. Leave some space between chicken pieces (they should not be touching). Using a small spoon, drizzle melted butter evenly over chicken.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 400ºF for 35 to 40 minutes, until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Enjoy!
5. Tip: If you invest in a good-quality oil spray bottle from a gourmet shop or housewares store, you can make your own cooking spray using your favourite oil.Light and Creamy Coleslaw Dres
1. Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.Coleslaw
1. Combine coleslaw mix, onions, bell pepper, and celery in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours for the best flavour. Stir before serving.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site