- serves 6 - 8
A wonderful dessert pie with an egg-based meringue filling that's both spongy and creamy!
Courtesy of Sandie Parley of Hilltop Diner
1 ¼ cup graham crumbs
⅓ cup margarine, meltedFlapper Pie Filling
5 cup milk, divided
4 Tbsp corn starch
¼ cup sugar
2 Tbsp margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla extractMeringue
¼ tsp cream of tartar
egg whites (from previous step)
¼ cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, mix melted margarine with graham crumbs.
3. Pour mixture into a pie pan. Spread mixture with a spatula so that it coats all sides of pan and forms an even crust.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.Flapper Pie Filling
1. In a bowl mix 1 cup of milk with corn starch; make sure there are no lumps. Set aside.
2. Set out two medium sized bowls. Crack eggs into first bowl. Carefully separate egg yolks from whites and place in second bowl. Set both bowls aside.
3. In a pot heat the remaining 4 cups milk and sugar for 5 minutes; stir frequently so that milk doesn't burn.
4. Add the cold milk and cornstarch to the pot on stove. Stir together for 5 minutes to thicken.
5. Add margarine and vanilla to egg yolks; beat together and then slowly add to the pot of heated milk.
6. Thicken mixture to a custard by bringing pot to a boil while stirring constantly. Once pot has boiled, remove from heat and pour custard filling into pie crust. Set aside.Meringue
1. Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites.
2. Slowly add sugar to egg whites.
3. Whisk until meringue is thick enough to not move when bowl is turned upside down.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread meringue over top of filling. Bake in oven at 350ºF for approximately 15 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven and cool for 2 hours before serving.