Fontina Fonduta served with Crispy Potatoes, Striploin Steaks, Grilled Asparagus and Mushrooms and Salsa Verde
- serves 4
14 oz Italian Fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
1 cup whole milk
3 egg yolks
1 tsp white truffle oil
salt, to taste
1 clove garlic, peeledCrispy Potatoes
10 new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
½ cup oil
salt, to tasteSteaks, Asparagus and Mushroom
2 12 oz striploin steaks
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
12 button or cremini mushrooms, wiped clean
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepperSalsa Verde
1 cup chopped parsley, stems included
6 anchovies, finely chopped
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
tsp Dijon mustard
½ clove garlic, minced
2 drop tobasco sauce
⅓ cup olive oilToasted Bread
1 loaf Italian country bread or baguette
1. In a medium bowl, soak cheese in milk, 2 hours, or until cheese has softened. Drain cheese, reserving milk
2. In a double boiler, whisk egg yolks and reserved milk together over medium heat, 2-4 minutes. Add fontina and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has completely melted.
3. Season with truffle oil and salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will separate. Meanwhile, rub the inside of a fondue pot with the clove of garlic. Transfer cheese mixture to the fondue bowl, and serve with potatoes, steak, vegetables, bread and salsa verde.Crispy Potatoes
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook 7-10 minutes, or until tender. Drain, careful not to break up any pieces, and lay on a sheet pan to cool.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add potatoes, in batches, and cook until golden brown on all sides, 5-6 minutes
3. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining potatoes.Steaks, Asparagus and Mushroom
1. Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, toss asparagus and mushrooms with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Set grill to medium high heat. Cook steak, until desired doneness, 6-8 minutes per side for medium. Let rest 5 minutes and cut into 1 inch cubes. While steak is resting, grill asparagus and mushrooms 5-7 minutes, or until cooked and slightly softened.Salsa Verde
1. In a medium bowl, mix parsley, anchovies, capers, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, and Tabasco sauce. Add olive oil and stir to combine.Toasted Bread
1. Slice bread into ½ inch slices. Toast on grill, 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy.