Forty Clove Chicken
- serves 4
If your crew likes moist juicy chicken this recipe is the perfect crowd pleaser.
3 cup water
3 cup white wine
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
½ onion, roughly chopped
10 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
tsp whole white pepercorns
6 bay leaves
3-4 parsley stems
1 sprig thyme
¼ cup salt
¼ cup sugarChicken
1 3-3.5 lb chicken
2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 bulb garlic, tops cut off lengthways
4 sprig parsley
2 sprig thyme
1 onion sliced into 1/4 in rings
¼ cup softened butter
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepperBread Salad
¼ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp currants, soaking in 0.25 cup sweet wine (vin santo or late harvest wine)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
4 cup arugula, washed and dried
3 cup 1 inch cubed foccacia, about 1/2 loaf, lightly toasted
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
salt and pepper to tasteGrilled Oyster Mushrooms
3 cup oyster mushrooms
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. To prepare brine, combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Submerge chicken in brine, weighing down with plate if necessary, let stand overnight in fridge.Chicken
1. Preheat oven to 400. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Strain brine. reserving solids.
2. Smear half the butter under the breast skin. Tuck sliced garlic under skin as well. Tuck fresh herbs and brine solids (onion, celery garlic cloves, etc) inside before trussing chicken.
3. Rub remaining butter into skin and season generously all over with coarse salt and pepper. Arrange onion slices in lightly oiled roasting pan. Place chicken on top. Toss garlic bulbs in olive oil and arrange beside chicken.
4. Roast in oven, basting occasionally, for about 1 hour or until juices run clear. Rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.Bread Salad
1. To make bread salad, combine arugula, cubed bread and drained currants in a medium bowl. Lightly toss with olive oil, 1 tbsp of sweet wine and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.Grilled Oyster Mushrooms
1. Preheat grill to high. Trim off any woddy stems. Drizzle mushrooms with 2 tbsp olive oil; season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Grill mushrooms until lightly charred and crispy in places, about 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to plate or tray and keep warm unitl serving. Finish by drizzling remaining tbsp olive oil over.