French Onion Soup with Croutons au Gratin
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 2
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped mixed wild mushrooms (cremini, shitake and oyster)
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons 35% whipping cream
2 cups reduced-sodium beef stock
baguette, sliced into four 1/2 inch slices
½ cup shredded Canadian Gruyère cheese
2 tablespoons crumbled Canadian Blue cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
1. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; sauté mushrooms and onions for about 10 to 12 min or until lightly caramelized. Stir in flour to absorb butter; slowly stir in cream. Increase heat to high, stir in stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 min or until flavours are blended.
2. Lightly toast baguette slices in a toaster; set aside.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Place ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet and ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl with two baguette slices and sprinkle with Canadian Gruyère and Blue cheese. Broil for about 2 min or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
5. Place bowls on serving plate and sprinkle with chopped chives. Be sure to warn your guest that the bowl is ultra hot.
6. Tips: This recipe is perfect for a large crowd because it is easy to double or triple. To make ahead, prepare the soup through Step 1, cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 day. Reheat gently until hot and proceed with Steps 2 and 3. Tip for the Adventurous: Add 1-½ tsp (7 ml) chopped fresh thyme when sautéing mushrooms and onions.