French Toast Soufflé
1. Heat the butter in a medium nonstick pan on medium heat until bubbling. Stir in the spices and add the bread cubes. Fry, tossing, until golden, about 2 minutes.
2. Butter and sugar 6 individual 3-inch ramekins. Put the toasted bread cubes in the bottom and set aside.
3. Bring the milk, sugar and vanilla bean to a boil in a medium saucepan.
4. Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and the sifted mixture to the boiling milk and mix until smooth and thick, stirring during the entire cooking time, about 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove this soufflé base from the heat and beat in the egg yolks one at a time until well incorporated.
6. Butter a stainless steel bowl lightly and add the soufflé base to it, cover tightly with plastic wrap.
7. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
8. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
9. Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, then fold into the soufflé base a 1/3 at a time.
10. Put the mixture into the molds and bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking. When the time is up remove from the oven.
1. Slice the chorizo sausage on the diagonal, 1/2-inch thick.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat and add the chorizo.
3. Sauté until browned, about 4 minutes per side.
1. Pierce the tops of the French Toast at the table and drizzle in some maple syrup.
2. Serve with the chorizo.