Fried Plantain Chips
- prep time 10 min
- total time 22 min
- serves 4
4 unripe green plantains or bananas
4 cup vegetable oil for frying
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
1. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the plantains (or bananas) into very thin slices, about 1/8-inch thickness.
2. Pour the oil into a large, heavy bottomed pot and heat it to °350. Oil level should come one third of the way up the sides of the pot. If there is too much oil, it will overflow when the chips are added. Alternately use a deep fryer. Fry plantain (or banana) slices in batches in the hot oil until crispy and golden, about 2-3 minutes. Stir them a bit while they fry to prevent them sticking together.
3. While plantains are frying, stir together the smoked paprika, garam masala and salt and pepper.
4. Remove the plantains and drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the spice mixture.
5. Plantain chips can be cooled and stored in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site