pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu
Tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
green onions, chopped
Tbsp (15 ml) ginger root, minced
Tbsp (15 ml) garlic, minced
Thai chili, finely chopped with seeds (optional)
cup (150 ml) vegetable broth
Tbsp (25 ml) soy sauce
cup (50 ml) granulated sugar
Tbsp (15 ml) white vinegar
Tbsp (15 ml) mirin
Tbsp (15 ml) chili paste
cup (500 ml) vegetable oil
cup (125 ml) cornstarch
1. Drain tofu; wrap in clean kitchen towel or paper towel for 15 minutes, gently pressing down occasionally to absorb excess moisture.
2. In small bowl, mix 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 ml) water to form paste.
3. In small saucepan, heat 1 tsp (5 ml) oil over medium heat. Cook, onions, ginger, garlic and chili (if using) for 1 minute, stirring often. Add broth, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, mirin, chili paste and cornstarch paste. Bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat; set aside.
4. In wok or medium saucepan, heat 2 cups (500 ml) oil over medium-high heat.
5. Cut tofu into ¾-inch (2 cm) cubes; place back on kitchen towel to absorb more moisture. In small bowl, whisk egg. Place ½ cup (125 ml) cornstarch in another small bowl. Dip tofu cubes in egg, letting excess drip off. Lightly toss in cornstarch. Add coated tofu to wok; cook, turning often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tofu to bowl; drizzle sauce over top.