General Tso Tofu
- prep time 30 min
- total time 36 min
- serves 4
1 pkg (350 g) extra firm tofu
1 Tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
3 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp (15 ml) ginger root, minced
1 Tbsp (15 ml) garlic, minced
1 Thai chili, finely chopped with seeds (optional)
7/10 cup (150 ml) vegetable broth
2 Tbsp (25 ml) soy sauce
¼ cup (50 ml) granulated sugar
1 Tbsp (15 ml) white vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 ml) mirin
1 Tbsp (15 ml) chili paste
2 cup (500 ml) vegetable oil
½ cup (125 ml) cornstarch
1. Drain tofu; wrap in clean kitchen towel or paper towel for 15 minutes, gently pressing down occasionally to absorb excess moisture.
2. In small bowl, mix 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 ml) water to form paste.
3. In small saucepan, heat 1 tsp (5 ml) oil over medium heat. Cook, onions, ginger, garlic and chili (if using) for 1 minute, stirring often. Add broth, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, mirin, chili paste and cornstarch paste. Bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring. Remove from heat; set aside.
4. In wok or medium saucepan, heat 2 cups (500 ml) oil over medium-high heat.
5. Cut tofu into ¾-inch (2 cm) cubes; place back on kitchen towel to absorb more moisture. In small bowl, whisk egg. Place ½ cup (125 ml) cornstarch in another small bowl. Dip tofu cubes in egg, letting excess drip off. Lightly toss in cornstarch. Add coated tofu to wok; cook, turning often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tofu to bowl; drizzle sauce over top.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site