Ginger Apricot Chicken
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
1 3 ½ lb. air-chilled chicken, or equivalent weight of thighs
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cup dried apricot
1 ½ cup boiling water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, finely, chopped
1 ½ tsp sugar
2 Tbsp finely grated ginger, root
1 cinnamon, stick, roughly, separated
8 green cardamom pod, lightly, crushed
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 ½ cup tomato, juice
3/10 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
1. With kitchen shears, cut along both sides of chicken backbone; cut off wing tips. Reserve backbone and wing-tips for stock. Cut chicken in half along breastbone, then each side into 4 pieces: thigh, drumstick, and breast cut on diagonal to produce 2 more or less equal pieces. Cut off wings if desired. Pull skin off chicken pieces, cutting drumsticks around joint to release skin easily; trim off excess fat. Place in bowl. Combine ginger and salt; sprinkle over chicken pieces, rubbing well to coat pieces evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 12.
2. Meanwhile, cover apricots with boiling water; let stand for 30 minutes.
3. In shallow Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides; transfer to plate.
4. Drain off any fat; reduce heat to medium. Melt butter; stir in onion, sugar, half of the fresh gingerroot, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves and pepper. Cook, stirring, often until tender and golden, about 8 minutes.
5. Stir in tomatoes, tomato juice, apricots and their soaking water. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring up brown bits; boil for 5 minutes or until tomatoes meld into the liquid. Add all but 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the coriander. Return chicken to pan and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, turning chicken once, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 minutes.
6. Place remaining ginger in fine sieve; press out juice. Sprinkle over chicken. Turn to distribute evenly. Arrange chicken and sauce on warmed platter; sprinkle with remaining coriander.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site