Ginger Beef in Lettuce Wraps with a Pita Holder and Marinated Cucumber-Carrot Aftertisers
- prep time15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 4-6
Delicious beef wraps with cucumber carrot aftertisers for a simple meal.
1 lb(s) Flank or sirloin steak (1 lb / 450 g)
¾ cup cornstarch
½ cup water
Canola or peanut oil
Caution, don’t try one…you may never stop eating them!
⅔ cup shredded carrots
2 Tbsp chopped green onions
¼ cup finely chopped or shredded fresh ginger (or use ginger in a jar)
1-2 cloves garlic (or use garlic in a jar)Sticky Sauce
1 Tbsp canola oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp wine, red or white
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
½ cup sugar
1 dash Dash crushed chili flakes
1 heads head Romaine lettuce
1 large carrot shredded
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp flax seed (optional)
1 English cucumber
1. In the morning…
Slice partially frozen steak across the grain into narrow strips. Place cornstarch in a large mixing bowl. Add water gradually while you are whisking. Beat eggs into cornstarch mixture. Toss in beef and stir to coat. Pour 1 inch of oil into wok or stove top fry pan with sides. Heat oil until hot, but not smoking. Add a quarter of the beef to the oil at a time. Separate with a fork and cook, stirring frequently, until crispy. Remove with a large slotted spoon, drain on parchment paper and set aside.
2. When you are ready to have dinner…
Shred carrots. Chop green onions. Grate fresh ginger. Mince garlic.
3. Heat oil in wok. Add shredded carrots, onion, ginger and garlic in that order. Stir briefly over high heat. Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and chili flakes in a small bowl. Add to vegetable mixture and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
4. Wash lettuce leaves whole and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside in fridge. Shred an additional carrot and place in a separate bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and add lemon juice. Add flax seed. Set aside to marinate.
5. Wash cucumber. Slice into disks and set on a plate. Pile carrot mixture on top.
6. Set aside covered in plastic wrap in fridge. Slice pita in half. Split open carefully.
7. Just before you are ready to serve dinner, bring sticky sauce back up to a boil and toss beef into sauce to coat.