Great Greek Baked Beans
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 8
2 cups dried lima beans or white kidney beans
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise
3 stalks celery, diced
4 carrots, diced
Several sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Big pinch dried oregano (preferably Greek)
½ small dried chile pepper, crushed
1 can (28 oz./796ml) diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. Soak beans in enough water to cover for 4 hours.
2. Drain beans and transfer to a large saucepan.
3. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until beans are just tender.
6. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
7. Saute onion and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden.
8. Stir in celery, carrots, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, chile, tomatoes, water, honey, salt and pepper.
9. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until sauce has thickened slightly and vegetables are tender.
10. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
11. Combine sauce and beans in a medium baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until mixture is thick and bubbly.
12. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving.