Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 2
1 Bosc pear, peeled and sliced lengthwise
1 rosemary sprig, cut in half
4 slices country loaf or multi-grain bread, about 3/4-inch thick
3 ounces Saint Agur blue cheese, room temperature (85 grams)
3 tablespoons butter (45 ml)
¼ cup Port (60 ml)
1. Soften the cheese a little with a sandwich spreader or knife so that the cheese will spread easily on the bread.
2. Spread a thin layer of cheese on one side of each slice of bread. Place several slices of pear on 2 pieces of the bread (on top of the cheese). Finish with another piece of bread on top (cheese on the inside of the sandwich).
3. Add butter to a large non-stick sauté pan on medium-low heat. Bruise the sprig of rosemary with the back of a knife. Add to the pan. Cook the rosemary for 1 to 2 minutes to infuse the butter. Carefully remove the rosemary and discard.
4. Add the sandwiches to the same pan. Press lightly with a spatula. Cook sandwiches until bread is golden on the outside and cheese starts melting, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Keep warm.
5. In the same pan over medium high, add the port. Reduce by half, about 4 to 5 minutes. Cut each sandwich in half. Drizzle evenly with the port reduction. Serve.