Grilled Meatball Sub
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 0
1 small onion, minced
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1 large egg
2 tsp garlic minced
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup Italian bread crumbs
½ lb. ground veal
½ lb. ground pork
½ lb. ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cup fresh marinara sauce warmed
24 slices provolone cheese
3/10 cup grated Parmesan cheese (to top)
12 6 inch Italian soft rolls
20 long bamboo skewers soaked in cool water for 30 minutes
1. Combine onion, parsley, basil, egg, garlic, and Dijon mustard in a large bowl.
2. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
3. Crumble veal, pork and beef into the bowl and mix well with clean hands. Season the mixture well with salt and pepper.
4. Oil you hands to help prevent the meat from sticking to you and form the meatballs. Use about 2.5 tablespoons of the mixture for each ball and roll gently between your hands. Set them onto a clean and well oiled baking tray (or you can line it in parchment paper).
5. Place two meatballs on each soaked wooden skewer being careful to hide the tip of the skewer so that it won’t burn.
6. Drizzle the meatballs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
7. On another tray arrange the buns and bring the tomato sauce and provolone cheese to the bbq.
8. Preheat barbeque to 350°F (175°C).
9. Oil the grill to help prevent sticking.
10. Place a 6-8 inch sheet of foil from front to back in the centre of the grill. Place the handles of the skewers over the foil so that they won’t burn.
11. Place the meatball sticks on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until all sides are nicely caramelized. Keep rolling around to ensure all is cooked and caramelized.
12. Remove skewers and slide the meatballs into the buns. Spoon marinara sauce on top, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and finish with provolone slices. Place the stuffed buns on the warming rack and close lid cook until cheese is melted and gooey good.
13. Remove and serve with extra marinara sauce.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site