Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Donut
- serves 12
"I love combining iconic foods and flavours and creating a classic."
2 ½ cups cake flour (in a small bowl, set aside a smidgen for rolling out the dough)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp table salt
¾ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp shortening
2 large egg yolks
⅔ cup sour cream
canola oil, for fryingWhipping Cream
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp sugar (confectioners' sugar will give you a smoother texture)
icing sugar, as neededVanilla Lime Simple Syrup
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1 vanilla bean, seeds extracted
1 lime, zested (be sure to get the zest and not the pith)
1 cup strawberries, thinly slicedAssembly
Sour Cream Old-Fashioned Donuts
Vanilla Lime Simple Syrup
1. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Mix sugar and shortening in stand mixer with paddle on low speed for about a minute. Add yolks, and continue to mix until mixture is light in colour. Remembering to scrape down the sides of mixing bowl.
3. Combine the dry ingredients and add the sour cream on low speed and mix until well incorporated-dough should be sticky. Transfer dough to bowl and cover with plastic wrap for at least 45 minutes up to a day.
4. Prepare oil in a deep fryer and set temperature to 325˚F. Roll out chilled dough into a sheet of about a 1/2-inch thickness on a generously floured counter top. Using a cutter, cut out donuts.
5. Place donuts into preheated fryer a few at a time. Once the donuts float, continue to fry until golden brown (about 1 ½ minutes). You will also have to flip donut over to make sure even cooking on both sides. Remove from fryer and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Set aside to cool.Whipping Cream
1. Whip cream in chilled bowl until peaks begin to form. Add in sugar and vanilla extract and whip until desired texture.Vanilla Lime Simple Syrup
1. Combine water and sugar together with vanilla bean husk and seeds to make simple sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir until sugar has dissolved; set aside to cool. Once cooled, add lime zest and thinly sliced strawberries.Assembly
1. Heat BBQ grill on high temperature. Make sure grill is clean. Place donuts on hot grill for a few seconds and remove. You are looking to slightly caramelize the sugars in the donut.
2. Top donuts with a dollop of whipped cream and spoonful for strawberries with vanilla lime simple syrup. Finish donuts with a dusting of icing sugar.