Grilled Veggie-Stuffed Portobellos with Cheese on Herbed Flatbread
- serves 0
2 Portobello mushroom caps
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or other olive oil
½ small red or orange bell pepper, seeded
1 small fresh fennel bulb, halved lengthwise
1 yellow or red onion, sliced
2 clove garlic, unpeeled
1 small slice sourdough bread
1 tsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
¼ tsp garlic pepper seasoning
1 slices Swiss or Muenster cheese, halved
2 piece herbed flat bread or buns
tomato slices, optional
1. Heat grill to medium direct heat. Meanwhile, cut stems from mushrooms; set aside.
2. Scrape dark "gills" from inside mushrooms using a spoon; discard.
3. Lightly brush outsides of mushrooms, both sides of bread and remaining vegetables with olive oil. Set mushrooms aside.
4. Place remaining vegetables except mushroom stems and garlic on grill. Grill 5 minutes.
5. Brush lightly with olive oil and turn vegetables over.
6. Add mushroom stems and garlic to grill, placing on small piece of foil to prevent them from falling through grill grates. Grill 2 to 5 minutes longer or until tender but not soft (except garlic, it should be very soft). Add bread to grill during last 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Remove vegetables and bread from grill. But do not turn grill off.
7. To make filling, place grilled bread in food processor; process until fine. Remove bread crumbs from processor; set aside.
8. Cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Peel garlic. Add garlic, mushroom stems and remaining grilled vegetables to processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add bread crumbs (about 1/3 cup or 80 mL), oregano and garlic-pepper seasoning; pulse to mix. Set aside.
9. Place mushrooms, rounded (top) side up on grill.
10. Grill covered 2 to 5 minutes or until inside of mushroom caps are beginning to soften. Remove from grill; brush tops lightly with olive oil. Spoon filling into mushroom caps; packing lightly.
11. Place mushrooms on grill. Grill covered 4 to 6 minutes minutes or until filling is thoroughly heated and mushroom caps are tender, topping with cheese during last 2 to 3 minutes to melt cheese.
12. If desired, split buns or flatbread; brush cut sides lightly with olive oil and place cut side down on grill during last 1 to 2 minutes to lightly toast.
13. Serve mushroom "burgers" in buns with tomatoes and condiments if desired.
14. - Preparation Notes: If desired, use 1/4 each small red and orange bell pepper. If using flatbread, cut loaf into six pieces, using two pieces split in half to make bun slices.