Hamburger on a Stick, Rice Noodles, Peanut Satay Sauce and Broccoli
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 2
6 to 8 skewers
2 pounds or 900 g lean ground beef (34 oz)
1 teaspoon baking soda (5 mL)
Salt and pepper
Bottled peanut satay sauce (or Szechwan sauce)
5 cups frozen broccoli florets (1 quart)
Rice stick noodles
1. Soak skewers in water if they are wooden.
2. Blend onion to extra fine and mix with beef.
3. Add baking soda, salt and pepper, and then mix again.
4. Form meat mixture into 6 to 8 sausage shapes by rolling meat between parchment paper.
5. Heat barbecue to 400 F (205 C). Brown meat on all sides then reduce heat to 300 F (150 C) to complete cooking.
6. Insert skewers into meat after initial browning. Cook another 10 to 15 minutes turning occasionally. If meat sticks to skewers, it is overcooked. Removing skewers from meat should be easy with no force. The best metal skewers are made of stainless steel.
7. Serve meat with peanut satay sauce for those who like it.
8. In the meantime… Put broccoli in a microwavable pot or casserole dish with lid.
9. Cover, then microwave on high for 5 minutes.
10. Boil a full kettle of water. Break a section of rice stick noodles in half and place them in the bottom of a heat resistant bowl. Pour boiling water over noodles to cover, pushing them down with a fork. Drain rice noodles and serve with meat and broccoli.