Herb and Pepper Crackers with Lime Avocado Spread
- serves 30
¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cracked black pepper
2 Tbsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 sprigs fresh dill, half, chopped
2 sprigs fresh parsley, half, chopped
¼ cup buttermilk
1 egg, white, whisked
1 tsp waterLime Avocado Spread
1 ripe avocado, finely, diced
¼ cup finely diced red pepper
freshly cracked black pepper
grated zest of one lime
juice of half a lime
1 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
¼ tsp chopped chili
¼ tsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine dry ingredients in food processor.
3. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
5. Add the chopped herbs to the bowl.
6. Stir in the buttermilk.
7. Add the whole leafy parts of the remaining herbs. Stir until mixture comes together.
8. Turn onto well floured surface. Knead several times until dough forms a ball. Dust lightly with flour if dough seems sticky.
9. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
10. Using a crimped pastry wheel, cut dough into various sized triangles and rectangles.
11. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place crackers on baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
12. Whisk the egg white and water together. Brush crackers.
13. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes until browned and crisp. Set aside to cool.Lime Avocado Spread
1. Combine all ingredients for the Lime Avocado Spread in a medium bowl. Stir until mixed thoroughly.
2. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.