- prep time 30 min
- total time 80 min
- serves 4
1 organic chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
3 tsp Kosher salt
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
3 sprig marjoram
½ tsp whole black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Take the chicken out of the packaging and rinse it thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry. Place the chicken in the refrigerator and let it dry for at least 12 hours or until the chicken skin is somewhat dry.
2. Take cheesecloth and form it into a small ball tied up with butchers string (a tennis ball size). Put the ball in a small bowl with two teaspoons of kosher salt, one rosemary sprig or thyme sprig, one marjoram sprig, and half teaspoon of whole black pepper. Fill the bowl with water that the water level is slightly above the cheesecloth ball and put it in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
3. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and make sure that it is completely dry. Rub two tablespoon of olive oil over the skin surface of the chicken and sprinkle it evenly with one tablespoon of kosher salt. Loosen the skin over the breast and slide a sprig of marjoram under each side. Take the cheesecloth ball, squeeze slightly out the excess of brine, and stick it into the chicken cavity along with a half lemon. Tie the legs together with butchers twine. Place the chicken breast side up, on the baking rack and tuck the wings under the shoulders.
4. Preheat the oven to roast at 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken in the oven and roast it for about 15 - 20 minutes until the skin dries up and the salt becomes white. Increase the temperature by 25 degrees every 15 minutes until you reach 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue this process until the chicken is cooked. To check the chicken for doneness, insert a thermometer into the breast part below the wings and read the heat. If chicken has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit and the skin is somewhat crispy, shut down the oven and let it rest for another 10 minutes. If you like to have crispier skin, turn on your broiler for 2-3 minutes until skin gets darker.
5. Cut the chicken in quarters and serve.
6. Roasted potatoes are a great side for this dish. Simply place raw potatoes underneath your chicken when roasting. They will be perfectly cooked when you chicken is ready.