Homemade Pita Chips
- serves 0
1 bag of large pitas (usually holds 8-10) - the kind that can be used for sandwich pockets
extra virgin olive oil - for brushing the pita tops
dried herbs - I like mixed Italian or Oregano
cayenne pepper or paprika - sweet or spicy is up to you
garlic powder - one of the few times I don not use fresh
1. Preheat the oven to broil and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Cut pitas in half cross-wise, and then split halves so that there is a rough side and a baked side. Keep the rough side up to absorb the olive oil.
3. Cut pita halves into 3-4 wedges per half.
4. Place wedges on foil-lined cookie sheets and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic, herbs and cayenne or paprika.
5. Place the cookie sheet in the oven with the door ajar. This doesn’t take very long, just a couple of minutes. You need to watch them …they burn quickly.