Homemade Tortellini with Fennel Cream
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 0
2 cups + 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 large eggs at room temperature
¼ teaspoon saltFilling
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
10 ounces ground pork
1 ¼ cups finely grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large eggsFennel Cream
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 head fresh fennel, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
½ cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon fennel seed
2 cups whipping cream
salt and pepper
Grated ParmesanTo assemble
1. For pasta dough, pulse ingredients in a food processor until blended (dough will be dry). Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest refrigerated 1 hour.
2. While dough is resting, prepare filling. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Stir in fennel seed and toast in oil for 1 minute.
3. Add pork and cook through. Remove pork from pan toss with Parmesan, rosemary, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper (Parmesan adds sufficient salt). Whisk eggs in a small bowl and stir into pork mixture.
4. Roll out dough through a pasta machine, following manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Cut rounds about 2-inches across and spoon a teaspoonful of filling into each. Fold each circle in half and wrap over finger, pinching ends together to create tortellini. Set on a baking tray to dry and chill until ready to cook.
6. To cook tortellini, bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Add tortellini and boil until they float, about 3 minutes. Drain well and reserve while preparing sauce.
7. For sauce, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and fennel and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
8. Add thyme, fennel seed and white wine and simmer until wine is reduced by half. Add cream and simmer until a sauce consistency (until it coats the back of a spoon). Season to taste and add cooked tortellini to warm. Return to a simmer and serve garnished with Parmesan.