Hunan Smoked Beef Ribs
- serves 0
2 8 2 Racks of Beef ribs 8 Bones each rack
9 cup 9 cups apple wood chips 6 cups soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained.Rub
4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp lightly packed brown sugar
2 tsp chili flakesSauce
2 cup Hoisin sauce
3 Juice of 3 oranges
2 Tbsp grated ginger
1 ½ Tbsp chopped garlic
¼ cup dry sherry
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1. To make the rub, combine all rub ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine evenly. Rub this mixture evenly all over the ribs using slight pressure of the hand as to tear the micro fibers of the meat. Place the rubbed ribs in a large re-sealable bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight
2. The next day prepare the sauce by combining the Hoisin sauce in a medium bowl; add the grated ginger, garlic, orange juice, sherry and sesame seeds.
3. Strain the wood chips. Place 1 cup (250ml) of dry wood chips on a large sheet of aluminum foil mix in 2 cups (500ml) of the wet until evenly distributed. Close the foil up loosely and make a sealed pouch. Pierce the pouch in several spots top and bottom. Repeat to make 3 pouches in total.
4. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature. Prepare barbeque by removing the grates, placing a drip pan on one side of grill and placing a smoke pouch on the other side. Replace the grates over the drip pan only.
5. Preheat the grill for indirect cooking by leaving the 2 burners off under the drip pan and putting the heat on under the smoke pouch. Allow to heat to a temperature of 220F (104C) heat. Once smoke beings to form, lift the lid and place the ribs on the grill over the drip pan where there is no heat. Close lid and smoke for 2.5 hours, changing the smoke pouch when smoke dissipates.
6. After 2.5 hours baste the ribs with the sauce. Close lid and continue to cook for 1 hour basting every 30 minutes. Ribs will be done when you can pull them from the bone with ease.
7. Remove ribs from grill loosely tent with foil and let rest for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with left over Hunan sauce.Rub Sauce