Ina Garten's Lemon Bars
- prep time10 min
- total time 65 min
- serves 20 - 40
Yield: 20 squares or 40 triangles
Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.
½ lb(s) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
⅛ tsp kosher saltFor the filling
6 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.
3. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.For the filling
1. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.