- prep time 10 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 1
This jerk marinade is the perfect thing for spicy food lovers!
Courtesy of Chef Tawfik Shehata for ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS.
30 green onions, chopped fine, by hand
5 inch ginger, peeled and minced
½ cup garlic, peeled and minced
6 bay leaves
6 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chopped fine by hand (more or less if desired)
2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 cup picked thyme leaves, chopped fine by hand
soy sauce, to taste
1 3-4 lb chicken, split in half
1. Everything should be minced very fine. All spices should be toasted whole then ground (if possible).
2. If you are rushed you can do it in a food processor but add a little oil to help it and make sure you chop everything as fine as you can first. The food processor will not make it smooth enough on its own.
3. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, rub generously with 1 cup of marinade, cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
4. Season with kosher salt just before grilling.
5. Heat half the grill to medium and cook the chicken over indirect heat (the side of the grill that is off). For Approximately 1 – 1 ¼ hrs or until internal temperature reaches 185ºF when checked with a digital probe thermometer inserted into the thickest part.