Jollof Rice with Cold Veggies and Dip (and Leftover Ham)
- prep time20 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 4
6 6 eggs
1 Tbsp 1 tbsp canola oil
1 1 onion
3 cup 3 cups long grain rice (Uncle Ben's is nice for this meal because its par cooked so less starchy)
10 oz 10 oz or 284 mL can beef broth
1 can 1 can tomato paste (5 1/2 oz or 156 mL)
½ tsp tsp curry powder
2 cup 2 cups warm water
1 can 1 can corned beef (12 oz or 340 g)
½ red pepper
Partially cooked rice
1 cup Water to cover rice (approx 1 cup) You may need a little more.
Previously cooked eggs
2 1 or 2 firm tomatoes
3 stalks 3 stalks celery
1 lb(s) 1 lb or 454 g baby carrots
15 15 whole mushrooms
1 Your favorite bottled veggie dip
1. Place eggs in a stove top pot of cold water on high heat. Set timer for 15 minutes.
2. When timer rings gradually replace hot water with cold water from the tap. Let stand.
3. Heat oil in a large stove top pot at medium heat.
4. Finely chop onion adding to pot as you cut. Cook until translucent and just brown.
5. Stir in raw rice and beef broth. Boil until broth has just absorbed but rice is still uncooked.
6. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
7. Combine tomato paste and curry powder in the un-clean pot, on low heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes until well blended and hot.
8. Gradually add warm water and bring to a boil.
9. Slice corned beef into chunks and add to pot.
10. Finely chop red pepper adding to pot as you chop.
11. Stir. Return rice to pot. Stir.
12. You will likely need to add water to just cover the rice. Return lid to pot and cook at low until the water has absorbed and the rice is tender. (Approx 20 minutes.)
13. Peel shell from eggs. Slice eggs and tomatoes and use as garnish on rice.
14. Wash celery and slice into sticks.
15. Rinse carrots and mushrooms and arrange on a plate with dip.
16. Slice leftover ham and serve with the cold veggies and Jollof rice.