Kale, Sausage and Bean Soup
- prep time 20 min
- total time 22 min
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
8 clove garlic, minced
5 leaves spring thyme
2 leaves bay
1 Tbsp fennel seeds, toasted
1 tsp chili flakes
4 Italian sausages
2 bunch kale, stems and ribs removed and chopped
1 can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
3 quart low-sodium chicken broth
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp sherry vinegar
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot on medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring frequently until wilted but not coloured.
2. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leabes, fennel seeds and chili flakes and saute for 1 minute longer.
3. Add the sausage and break up the meat with a large wooden sppon and stir vigorously until it is nicely browned.
4. Add the kale and tomatoes and continue to cook until the tomato juices have reduced by about 3 quarters.
5. Add the broth, season lightly and simmer, partially covered for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Add the beans, stir in the vinegar and adjust the seasonings.
7. Note: Ground turkey or ground chicken could work in place of the sausage.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site