- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 12
Recipe Courtesy Tawfik Shehata, Taboo Resort, Gravenhurst, Ontario
2 cup fine bulgar (500 ml)
2 pounds inside or outside round beef, cut into cubes (908 grams)
1 ½ pounds regular ground beef (681 grams)
2 medium onions, 1 chopped finely, 1 chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp ground coriander seed (15 ml)
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup pine nuts, toasted (125 ml)
1 Tbsp Egyptian seven spice (15 ml)
½ cup + 2 tbsp pure olive oil (150 ml)
½ lb. butter, melted (227 grams)
Butter, for buttering the baking pan
1. Soak bulgar in cold water for 5 minutes. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Butter a 12 x 9-inch stainless steel or aluminum pan.
4. Puree cubed beef until smooth in bowl of food processor. If beef is too sticky add 1 to 2 tbsp. of water. Remove and set aside.
5. In the same food processor bowl put coarsely chopped onion and ground coriander. Puree. Add squeezed bulgar and salt and pepper. Puree to combine. Transfer to a bowl. Mix by hand to combine. Return mixture to food processor in small batches and pulse until smooth. Try to work as quickly as possible so meat remains cold.
6. Keep a bowl of ice water next to your workstation. Dip your hands into the water as needed so meat doesn't stick to your hands. Return mixture to bowl and divide mixture in half. Cover half the mixture with plastic wrap and set aside.
7. Divide the uncovered mixture into 6 equal parts. Dip your hands in the cold water and flatten each piece. Place in the buttered pan. Wet fingers again and gently flatten until all gaps are covered and smooth to even thickness.
8. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion and cook until browned, adding the Egyptian seven spice and pine nuts just before removing mixture from the pan. Adjust seasoning. Cool mixture in the refrigerator.
9. Spread the cooled ground beef mixture evenly on top of the bulgar and beef mixture in the buttered pan. Cover with the remaining bulgar and beef mixture, spreading evenly to cover. Gently flatten surface as much as possible with wet fingers.
10. With a wet knife cut kibbeh into desired serving size, i.e. squares, diamonds or rectangles. Pass knife around sides of pan. Drizzle with melted butter and remaining ½ cup olive oil. Bake in oven on middle rack until brown and crispy on top, about 45 to 60 minutes. If excess butter or oil remains drain off while kibbeh is still hot.