Korean Fried Cauliflower
- serves 0
This dish can be served as a delicious snack as well as a component in an entrée. Courtesy of David Hawksworth of Hawksworth Restaurant.
500 mL rice flour
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
50 mL grapeseed oilCaulfilower
1 heads cauliflower
250 g all-purpose flour
500 mL Tempura Batter (see recipe)
200 mL Korean chili sauce (we make ours in-house, but you can buy in any Asian grocery store)
50 g white sesame seeds, toasted
30 g scallion, sliced
1. Combine all in a bowl and whisk until fully incorporated; some lumps are okay.
2. Reserve until needed.Caulfilower
1. Cut cauliflower into 1-inch florets.
2. Blanch in salted water for 15 secs and place in ice bath to stop cooking.
3. Dust cooked cauliflower florets in all purpose flour and then dip in tempura batter.
4. Pan fry in cast iron pan with 1-inch-deep canola oil (350ºF) until crispy, turning in oil carefully if needed.
5. Remove from oil when crispy and toss in Korean chili sauce.
6. Put in bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallion.