- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 0
Bob Blumer Glutton for Punishment
3 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 1 beet, roasted
¼ cup heavy cream
4 Tbsp butter
4 lamb shanks
¼ cup flour
7 Tbsp canola oil, divided
2 onions, chopped, divided
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
8 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 bottle dry red wine
4 cup chicken stock
1/2 head garlic, chopped
1 cup bread crumbs or panko
salt and pepper
vegetable oil spray
8 cupcake liners
muffin tinPotatoes Lamb To serve
1. Steam potatoes over boiling water until tender to the poke of a fork.
2. Use a ricer or food mill to mash potatoes. In a medium glass or metal bowl, blend the potatoes with cream, butter, and season to taste with salt. Peel roasted beet and use the fine side of a grater to grate 2 tablespoons. Reserve.Lamb
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Roll in flour. In a large sauté pan, over medium high heat, add 3 tablespoons of oil. Add lamb shanks and sear all four sides (about two minutes/side). Reserve.
3. In another sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and sauté one onion, carrots and celery for approximately six minutes or until they just begin to brown.
4. Add chicken stock to the veggie pan, stir up the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and bring stock to a boil.
5. Transfer lamb shanks to a roasting pan, pour wine over top.
6. Pour entire contents of veggie sauté pan over top of that, spread 1/2 of rosemary and all thyme over top of all that and tightly seal the whole lot with foil.
7. Braise shanks in oven for 3 1/2 hours, then remove foil and continue cooking for 30 more minutes. At this point, lamb should be browned and fall-off-the-bone tender.
8. Strain off the braising juices. Then separate the fat from the remaining juices and discard the fat. Transfer juices to a small pot and reduce by about tree quarters until it is a thick demi-glaze. Reserve.
9. Pull all the meat off the bones and tear into small pieces. Discard everything else.
10. Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Caramelize onions and garlic to within an inch of their lives, about 20 minutes. Reserve.
11. Stem remaining rosemary and chop finely. In a large bowl, mix meat, 1/3 cup demi glaze, onions, garlic, bread crumbs, eggs, rosemary. Reserve.
12. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners. Generously spray interior of liners with oil. Spoon lamb mixture into liners. Bake for 14 minutes, or until cakes are fully set, yet still moist.To serve
1. Before serving, reheat potatoes by covering the bowl with aluminum foil and placing it over a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. When potatoes are hot, add grated beet. Blend thoroughly until shocking pink. Use a piping bag or a knife to ice the lamb cupcakes.
2. If you made it to this point, nice work!