Lamb Leg with Shelling Beans and Lamb Neck Croquette
- prep time 0 min
- total time 187 min
- serves 4
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 lamb necks
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cups red wine
8 cups veal stock
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary, 1 whole, 1 finely chopped
5 black peppercorns
vegetable oil for frying
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bread crumbs
2 6 ounce portions of lamb leg, deboned and trimmed
1 sprig of rosemary
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch basil
1 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
pepperWhite Northern Beans
½ pound white northern beans, soaked in cold water for 12 hours and drained
1 Roma tomato
1 small potato, peeled
¼ cup olive oil
pepperOlive Oil Poached Tomatoes
2 cups cherry tomatoes, blanched and peeled
2 cloves garlic
2 cups olive oil
1 stem of basil, with leaves
2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, sliced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup white wine
2 sprigs thyme, 1 whole, 1 tbsp thyme leaves, chopped
1 bay leaf
4 cups veal stock
1 pound mini artichokes, cleaned and cut in ½
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup mint, finely chopped
1 cup parsley, finely chopped
¾ cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ cup olive oilAssembly
White Northern Beans
Olive Oil Poached Tomatoes
Lamb Neck Croquette
Lamb Jus from Lamb Neck Croquette
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a Le Creuset Sauté Pan over medium high heat.
2. Season lamb necks with salt and pepper, add to pan, sear on all sides until golden, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Remove lamb necks and place in a pressure cooker.
4. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic to pan. Sauté until vegetables are caramelized, approximately 5 minutes.
5. Add tomato paste, stir and cook until tomato paste darkens, approximately 2 minutes.
6. Deglaze with 1 cup of red wine until evaporated. Add remaining wine, cook until all wine has evaporated, approximately 10 minutes.
7. Add veal stock, bay leaves, 1 sprig of rosemary and peppercorns to pan. Stir to incorporate, add to pressure cooker with lamb necks.
8. Cook on high pressure until lamb necks are tender, approximately 1 hour.
9. Remove lamb necks from pressure cooker, place in a bowl and set aside to cool. Once cool, shred meat and set aside.
10. Add ¼ cup of cooking liquid from pressure cooker to bowl with shredded lamb. Strain remaining liquid into a pot over medium-high heat and reduce by ½. Keep Lamb Jus warm until serving.
11. Season shredded lamb with salt and pepper, add chopped rosemary, mix to incorporate.
12. Place on parchment-lined tray in one even layer.
13. Place another sheet of parchment paper over lamb and weigh down with another tray and a heavy object. Place in fridge to cool and press for a minimum of 3 hours, maximum of 24 hours.
14. Cut pressed lamb into 1 inch by 2 inch pieces. Place on a tray and set aside.
15. Fill a pot 1/3 full with vegetable oil and heat to 350F. Place a cooling rack over a baking tray.
16. Whisk eggs and water together and place in a Le Creuset 1.1 Litre Rectangular Dish.
17. Mix flour and breadcrumbs together, place in another Le Creuset 1.1 Litre Rectangular Dish.
18. In batches, coat pieces of pressed lamb in egg mixture, followed by flour mixture.
19. Fry until golden brown. Place Lamb Neck Croquettes on cooling rack, keep warm for assembly. Repeat process with remaining pressed lamb.Lamb Leg
1. Heat water in a medium pot over medium heat and bring temperature to 64F.
2. Season lamb leg pieces with salt and pepper. Place in a sealable plastic bag with remaining ingredients. Seal and place in simmering water.
3. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, until lamb is cooked.
4. Remove lamb from oil mixture, rest before slicing.Pesto
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Set aside for White Northern Beans recipe.White Northern Beans
1. Place beans, tomato and potato in a medium pot. Cover with water 2 inches above beans.
2. Simmer until beans are tender, approximately 1- ½ hours.
3. Add oil and season with salt and pepper. Set White Northern Beans aside to cool in cooking liquid.
4. Before serving, strain beans into a medium pot, add desired amount of pesto, stir to incorporate. Set aside for assembly.Olive Oil Poached Tomatoes
1. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place in a small pot with remaining ingredients over low heat and poach until tomatoes are tender, approximately 1 hour.Artichokes
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallot, celery, carrot and garlic. Sweat until vegetables are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
2. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by ½.
3. Add sprigs of thyme, bay leaf, stock, artichokes and lemon juice toss.
4. Remove artichokes from cooking liquid and set aside.
5. Reduce liquid by 2/3, add remaining butter and reserved artichokes.
6. Add chopped thyme, season with salt and pepper, toss and set aside for assembly.Gremolata
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix to combine and set aside for assembly.Assembly
1. Spoon ¼ cup White Northern Beans on one side of each plate.
2. Place 2-3 Olive Oil Poached Tomatoes around White Northern Beans.
3. Place 2 pieces of Artichoke around White Northern Beans.
4. Place 3 slices of Lamb Leg on top of White Northern Beans.
5. Place 1 Lamb Croquette on other side of plate.
6. Spoon Lamb Jus around Lamb Neck Croquette.
7. Spoon 1 tablespoon of Gremolata on top of Lamb Leg and serve.