Lamb Tagine with Artichokes and Mint
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 6
3 pounds boneless lamb, shoulder, or leg roast
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onion, sliced
1 carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons crumbled dried mint
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup dry white wine
1 ½ cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 19 ounce can chickpeas, drained, and, rinsed
1 14 ounce can artichoke, drained, and, quartered
¼ cup raisins
1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind
1 tablespoon lemon, juice
¼ cup pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Trim roast and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown lamb in batches. Transfer to plate.
3. Drain any fat from pan and reduce heat to medium; cook onions, carrot, garlic, mint and cumin, stirring, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
4. Return lamb and any accumulated juices to pan; bring to boil.
5. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, or cover and cook in oven, for 1 hour.
6. Stir in chickpeas, artichokes, raisins and lemon rind and juice; cover and cook until lamb is tender and sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
7. Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat, shaking often, until golden, about 3 minutes; sprinkle over stew.