Lamb Tagine with Artichokes and Mint
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 6
Emily Richards Canadian Living Cooks
3 lb(s) boneless lamb, shoulder, or leg roast
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 onion, sliced
1 carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp crumbled dried mint
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ cup dry white wine
1 ½ cup chicken stock
1 bay leaf
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained, and, rinsed
1 14 oz can artichoke, drained, and, quartered
¼ cup raisins
1 tsp grated lemon, rind
1 Tbsp lemon, juice
¼ cup pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
2. Trim roast and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown lamb in batches. Transfer to plate.
3. Drain any fat from pan and reduce heat to medium; cook onions, carrot, garlic, mint and cumin, stirring, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
4. Return lamb and any accumulated juices to pan; bring to boil.
5. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, or cover and cook in oven, for 1 hour.
6. Stir in chickpeas, artichokes, raisins and lemon rind and juice; cover and cook until lamb is tender and sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
7. Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat, shaking often, until golden, about 3 minutes; sprinkle over stew.