Landmark Tomato Sauce
- prep time 1 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 8-10
¼ cup virgin olive oil
1 garlic bulb, chopped
2 lb(s) lean ground beef
2 Tbsp dry oregano
1 tsp chili flakes
2 Tbsp dry sweet basil
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
4 cup combined carrots, red onion, green and red peppers, celery and mushroom, chopped
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup Italian dry red wine
28 oz can tomato sauce
28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 bay leaves
4 or 5 good shakes of Louisiana hot sauce (as you like)
1. Place a large pot on high heat and add olive oil and garlic.
2. Once the oil has heated add ground beef, oregano, chili flakes, basil, salt, and sugar. Stirring constantly until meat is nice and brown.
3. Add chopped carrots, red onion, green and red peppers, celery and mushrooms, cook for approximately 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Add the balsamic vinegar, wine, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
5. Keep stirring on high heat, spoon in the Dijon mustard and add bay leaves.
6. Add 4 or 5 good shakes of Louisiana hot sauce (depending on how spicy you like it).
7. Once the sauce is boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook for another half hour or so. Stir the sauce every few minutes so it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pot.
8. Note: Make sure you don’t cook the sauce for too long in order to keep a little crunch in the carrots.