Latin Chicken Soup
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 8
The Men of Man-Made
4 whole chicken legs, skin removed (4 to 5 lbs/1.8 to 2.25 kg)
4 cup chicken stock (1 L)
4 cup water (1 L)
1 cup passata (250 ml)
2 small onion, peel left on and quartered
4 clove garlic, peeled
2 med carrots, peeled
2 stalks celery, washed and trimmed
1 jalapeno, seeded
3 large sprigs fresh coriander
3 large sprigs fresh Italian parsley
3 large sprigs fresh thymeLatin Chicken Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil (30 ml)
1 cup finely chopped white onion (250 ml)
2 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped carrot (250 ml)
1 cup finely chopped celery (250 ml)
2 cup finely chopped zucchini (500 ml)
1 cup finely chopped yellow pepper (250 ml)
¼ cup tomato paste (65 ml)
Salt and pepperLatin Chicken Soup Garnish
½ pkg Corn Tortilla (200g)
3 limes, cut into wedges
½ lb. Monterey Jack Cheese, grated (225 g)
3 ripe avocados, cubed
½ cup roughly chopped fresh coriander (125 ml)
1. Put the chicken legs, chicken stock, water and passata into a large pot. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Skim the impurities from the surface of the soup and reduce the heat to a simmer.
2. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and jalapeno to the pot.
3. Tie all the herbs into a bundle and add to the pot.
4. Simmer the broth for 1½ hours.
5. Strain the broth into a clean pan, discarding the vegetables and herbs. Strip the meat from the chicken legs, shred and set aside.
6. The Mexican chicken broth can be made a day in advance and refrigerated until needed.Latin Chicken Soup
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and season. Sauté until the onion is soft but not brown.
2. Add the carrot, celery, zucchini and pepper and season. Sauté for several minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste and add the Mexican chicken broth.
4. Bring the soup to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
5. When cooked, add the shredded chicken meat to the soup to heat through.
6. The soup can be made in advance and refrigerated until needed.Latin Chicken Soup Garnish
1. Heat a deep fryer to 350°F.
2. Halve the corn tortillas and cut the halves into ½ inch/1 cm wide strips.
3. When the oil is hot, deep fry the tortilla strips until crisp. Drain and salt.
4. Place all the garnishes in small bowls.
5. Ladle the hot soup into bowls and let guests garnish the soup with the prepared garnishes.