Leftover Turkey and Polenta Casserole
- prep time 15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 6
Give leftover holiday turkey a Mediterranean twist by layering it with tomato sauce and polenta.
Courtesy of Jennifer Low.
olive oil for drizzling
¾ cup low-fat or regular cottage cheese (divided)
1 kg. prepared polenta (sold in plastic-wrapped cylinders), cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
1 cup tomato sauce (divided)
2 cup coarsely chopped leftover turkey
1 cup roasted red peppers (jarred variety is fine), coarsely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded, diced
⅓ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
⅓ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Drizzle couple teaspoons olive oil into bottom of 2-quart baking dish.
3. Spread 1/4 cup cottage cheese in bottom of dish, then arrange half the polenta slices in a layer on top, slightly overlapping.
4. Spread on half the tomato sauce.
5. Follow by sprinkling on (in this order) all the turkey, roasted red pepper, green pepper, crumbled feta or goat cheese.
6. Spoon over remaining tomato sauce and cottage cheese.
7. Arrange remaining slices of polenta into layer to cover.
8. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and drizzle with tablespoon olive oil.
9. Bake on middle rack of oven 30 minutes, until edges are bubbly.