Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi
- serves 4
Courtesy of Kim Tran of DD MAU.
2 lb(s) boneless, skin-on chicken thighs
1 (3/5 oz) package lemongrass, finely chopped
1 tsp honey
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp coconut water
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
black pepperPickled Vegetables
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
3 medium carrots, sliced into matchsticks
1 radish, sliced into matchsticksSweet Chili Aioli
6 egg yolks
1 ½ tsp salt
2 ¾ Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
⅓ cup sweet chili sauceBanh Mi Assembly
2 (24-inch) fresh white baguettes
½ cucumber, sliced thinly lengthwise
1 - 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
cilantro, to taste
1. In a large lidded container, stir together lemongrass, honey, vegetable oil, coconut water, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic, shallots, and a pinch of pepper.
2. Add chicken thighs to marinade, cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.Pickled Vegetables
1. In a second airtight container, stir together sugar and 2 cups of hot water; once sugar dissolves, add vinegar, carrots, and radishes.
2. Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.Sweet Chili Aioli
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together egg yolks, salt, vinegar, and lemon juice for 2-4 minutes, or until aioli starts to thicken.
2. Add sweet chili sauce and mix thoroughly.
3. Set aside until assembly.Banh Mi Assembly
1. Preheat grill to 425-485ºF.
2. Strain pickles from brine and set aside; discard brine.
3. Strain chicken from marinade and bring to room temperature; discard marinade.
4. Grill chicken, cooking each side for 3-4 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
5. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside to cool for 2 minutes or until cool enough to touch. Slice thighs into 1/4-inch slices.
6. Cut baguettes in half, put halves in the toaster for 2 minutes, then slice open lengthwise to create a banh mi bun.
7. Spread sweet chili aioli on one side of each bun; add a layer of pickled vegetables, lemongrass chicken, and cucumber slices.
8. Top with a cilantro and sliced jalapenos, to taste.