Lemongrass Creme Brulee
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 8
4 cup 35% cream (1 L)
3 stalks lemongrass, cut into 4" pieces
1 Tbsp vanilla extract (15 mL)
9 egg yolks
1 cup sugar (250 mL) plus 4 tablespoons(50mL) for brulee
1. In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat cream, lemongrass, vanilla, just until bubbles begin to form around edge of saucepan.
2. Remove lemongrass stalks.
3. In a heat proof bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until pale
4. Pour heated cream mixture slowly into the beaten egg yolks, whisking as you pour. Strain mixture through a sieve, and divide among 6 -6 ounce ramekins, or 8- 4ounce ramekins.
5. Bake at 325 degrees F (160 C) in water bath for 40-45 minutes, or just until set around edges. If custards are beginning to brown on top, cover loosely with foil.
6. Remove from water bath, cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
7. Sprinkle top of each ramekin with about 1 teaspoon sugar, shake gently to spread.
8. Using torch or quickly heating under broiler, carmelize tops until sugar bubbles and is amber in colour. Cool and serve.