Ligurian Bread and Garlic Pasta
- prep time 1 min
- total time 20 min
- serves 4
2 cup breadcrumbs, fresh, (made from half stale country loaf or baguette)
2 Tbsp vinegar, red, wine
6 garlic, cloves, minced
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¾ cup oil, olive, extra virgin
½ cup parsley, Italian, fresh, chopped
1 lb(s) pasta, penne
1 cheese, parmesan, grated
1. In bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup (50 mL) water and vinegar.
2. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Using mortar and pestle, pound together bread mixture, garlic, salt and pepper until in a paste.
4. A few drops at a time, add oil, stirring constantly until oil starts to emulsify.
5. Add remaining oil in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly until the consistency of mayonnaise.
6. Stir in parsley.
7. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm.
8. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid, drain well; return to saucepan over low heat.
9. Pour in sauce; stir until heated through, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if desired to thin sauce.