Lime Leaf Chicken Salad
- prep time 20 min
- total time 100 min
- serves 4
1 egg yolk
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 lime, juiced
1 cup vegetable oil
2 lime leaves, finely chopped
1 3-4 lb whole chicken
3 stalks celery
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
5 lime leaves, broken
10 cups cold water
saltCrunchy Lime Topping
1 cup celery hearts (approximately 6 stalks), finely diced
celery leaves from hearts, roughly torn by hand
3 green onions, bottom whites minced green tops cut into thin rings
1 lime, zested and juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large tomatoes, quartered
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepperBrown Rice Pilaf
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 shallot, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1 ½ cups brown rice
3 ¾ cups chicken stock from Chicken Salad recipe
1 tablespoon soy sauceAssembling Lime Leaf Chicken Salad
1. Place all ingredients in a tall container. Blend ingredients using a hand blender until Lime Aioli becomes thick. Place mixture in a bowl, season with salt, cover and place in fridge.Chicken Salad
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Once water comes to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and skim impurities.
3. After approximately 1 hour, turn heat off and allow chicken to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from broth and remove skin.
5. Strain and reserve 3 3/4 cups chicken stock for Brown Rice Pilaf recipe, refrigerate or freeze remaining.
6. Once chicken has cooled, shred chicken meat by hand and place in a bowl.
7. Mix Lime Aioli with shredded chicken meat, season with salt and place in fridge until assembly.Crunchy Lime Topping
1. Place all ingredients except for celery leaves in a small bowl and mix. Reserve celery leaves for final garnish.Charred Tomato
1. In a cast iron pan, heat oil over medium to high heat.
2. Season tomatoes with sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Sear tomatoes on both sides until charred, remove from heat and reserve until assembly.Brown Rice Pilaf
1. Heat oil in a wide, tall-rimmed pot over medium heat.
2. Add shallots and cook until tender and translucent.
3. Add bay leaf and rice, stir to coat rice in oil.
4. Add chicken stock and soy sauce, stir.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and place lid ajar over pan.
6. Cook until rice is tender, approximately 30-40 minutes, then fluff with a fork and set aside.Assembling Lime Leaf Chicken Salad
1. Place Brown Rice Pilaf on bottom of each serving plate.
2. Place two pieces of Charred Tomato on each plate over Brown Rice Pilaf.
3. Place equal amounts of Lime Leaf Chicken Salad on top of Charred Tomato then spoon Crunchy Lime Topping over.
4. Garnish each plate with celery leaves and drizzle of olive oil.