Ling Cod with Clams
- serves 4
Oven-roasted line-caught ling cod with kale, clams, dry-cured chorizo, cherry tomatoes, potatoes and a marinated fennel salad.
Courtesy of Taryn Wa of Savoury Chef Foods.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ shallot, finely chopped
1 pinch dried chili flakes
⅛ cup dry-cured chorizo, diced
½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ pint live clams, washed
3 leaves kale, stalks trimmed and discarded, julienned
½ yellow potato, peeled, cubed and poached
salt and pepper, to tasteShaved Fennel Salad
1 bulb fennel, sliced thinly on a mandolin
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sherry vinegar
salt and pepper, to tasteCod & Assembly
1 ½ lb(s) ling cod, cut into 6-oz portions
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
salt, to taste
1. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add garlic, shallot and chilli flakes. Let cook until fragrant.
3. Turn up heat and add chorizo, tomatoes, clams and kale. Toss to mix. Cover and cook until clams have opened. Set aside.Shaved Fennel Salad
1. Toss fennel with olive oil and sherry vinegar.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Set aside (you want the fennel to wilt a bit).Cod & Assembly
1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Dry cod well with a paper towel, season with salt and a bit of the vegetable oil.
3. Heat remaining vegetable oil in an oven-proof pan over medium-high heat.
4. Sear cod on one side until golden brown.
5. Flip the fish over and the pan in the oven. Roast until cooked through.
6. For assembly, divide sauce evenly between 4 shallow bowls. Put one piece of fish in each bowl. Garnish with fennel salad.