Liver with Onion Compote
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
2 apples, diced
2 tablespoons butter
4 red onion, thinly, sliced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegarLiver
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon butter
salt, and freshly ground pepper
4 calf liver, (1/4 inch thick slices, about 150 g. each)
3 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon butter
chopped chives, for garnishAssembly
1. Melt 1 tbsp. of the butter in a pan set over medium-high heat.
2. Saute apples until lightly golden.
3. Remove to a plate and set aside.
4. Melt 1 tbsp. butter in the same pan set over medium-low heat.
5. Add onions and stir to coat well.
6. Allow onions to sweat in the pan, about 15 minutes or until soft.
7. Increase heat to allow any excess liquid to evaporate.
8. Stir in the vinegar and sauteed apples.
9. Season with salt and pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and keep warm.Liver
1. Heat a saute pan with 1 tsp. butter and the vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
2. Season liver and sear briefly on both sides until nicely browned about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
3. Transfer to warmed plates.
4. Deglaze pan with wine and whisk in another 1 tbsp. butterAssembly
1. Spoon the pan sauce over liver.
2. Top liver with the warm onion compote and garnish with the chopped chives.
3. Serve with Warm Potato and Sunchoke Salad (see separate recipe).